- TW constructed a new one-story, 8,000 SF wood-framed daycare center within the expanding Villages of Urbana community. Serving preschool and pre-kindergarten children, this facility includes 11 classrooms, each with carpeted raised platforms, custom cabinetry, bathrooms including potty training facilities, sinks, and exterior exit doors.
- Amenities include computer learning room, full commercial kitchen, break room and staff kitchen, administrative offices, reception area, file storage area, and laundry room. A protected outdoor playground area was also created as part of the landscape and hardscape features.
- As the General Contractor, TW managed construction of the daycare facility simultaneous with an adjacent single-story shell structure intended for future use as a medical office building.
Why Therrien Waddell?
- TW was recommended to the Owner by the Architect, as a competitive option.
- The proposal provided by TW was the most complete and comprehensive summary representing the scope of the work.
- TW also assisted with value engineering options to optimize costs prior to commencement of the work.
Challenges and Results
- During excavation and grading, TW discovered that actual on-site elevations differed from those on the civil drawings, causing issues with depth of proposed utilities and footings as well slopes around the buildings. Reworking site installations and regrading impacted progress of construction.
- The daycare’s opening had to coincide with the public school calendar. Under pressure, the TW team met the challenge and completed the project on time. The excitement of Bright Eyes owners and staff with their brand-new facility was a gratifying testimony to the success of TW team efforts.