- The challenge: converting a 100-year-old warehouse to an upscale showroom for elite European luxury vehicles.
- How was it accomplished? TW was appointed general contractor to the owner/tenant and managed all aspects of construction on the space renovation:
- New interior partition glass walls, new ceilings and new bulkheads.
- Custom features included porcelain and stone flooring and Venetian plastering on feature walls.
- The existing canopy was extended and vestibules were added. Exterior improvements included a new roof and frame.
Why Therrien Waddell?
- TW was recommended by a project engineer to be invited to bid on the project, and demonstrated competence based on similar projects.
- Our past experience included constructing new auto dealerships for Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen and Auto Network (later CarMax).
- When this space was subsequently converted to a Volvo dealership, TW was again tapped for the role.
Challenges and Results
- Elegant features went beyond the ordinary. TW sourced and managed installation of such amenities as custom stone flooring from Italy, custom-designed and crafted glass interior and storefront panels, and a white birch log from Vermont (a decorative feature in a waiting area, secured to the floor and erected vertically, preserving the bark, lichen and other natural features).
- Gutting and renovating a century-old structure presented numerous unforeseen challenges and a few surprises. Custom components didn’t always fit as expected and surfaces didn’t always align. When it came to installing the decorative log, stone finishes and curved entry canopy, on-the-fly field research coupled with well-timed materials delivery kept the project on schedule.